Wharton’s jelly is unique among tissue regeneration therapies. Rich in mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs)—stem cells and other regenerative compounds like collagen and hyaluronic acid, Wharton’s jelly is a thick gelatinous substance that can only be found in the umbilical cord, where it plays a critical role in supporting a healthy pregnancy. In utero, Wharton’s jelly provides cushion, lubrication, and structural support to the umbilical cord vessels, preventing compression or bending of the vessels and allowing them to deliver oxygen, blood sugar, and amino acids to the developing fetus. It also helps insulate and protect the umbilical cord in the womb so it can function optimally.
Once considered postnatal waste, Wharton’s jelly has become an effective, innovative alternative to prescription medication and invasive surgeries for helping conditions like ligament and muscle damage, joint pain and inflammation, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, and degenerative diseases, as well as for accelerating and improving wound healing. This is because the stem cells, growth factors, and anti-inflammatory components of Wharton’s jelly that protect and support the umbilical cord can also, when injected into areas of injury or pain, stimulate the regeneration process by producing replacement cells and tissue, lubricating damaged joints, and reducing inflammation.
Dr. Jordan Kopcio and the team of physicians at Regenezone have more than 20 years of experience using cutting-edge regenerative therapies like Wharton’s jelly to help patients achieve long-lasting pain relief, better mobility, and improved function, even where conventional methods have failed. As part of a comprehensive, naturopathic approach to medical care, Dr. Kopcio can use stem cells from Wharton’s jelly to help your body improve the way it heals and repair itself from the inside out.
MSCs in Regenerative Medicine
Stem cells—and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in particular—serve two primary functions. The first is as building blocks during development, differentiating into certain cell types to create tissues and organs. The second is the renewal, repair, and recovery of old, injured, or dead cells and tissue. By replacing senescent cells with new cells of the same type, MSCs can accelerate recovery, promote wound and injury healing, and even reverse the signs of aging.
MSCs are capable of transforming into muscle, bone, cartilage, or any of a dozen or so other types of cells, depending on what the body needs. While adult MSCs can come from other areas of the body, like fat tissue or bone marrow, the super-concentrated MSCs from Wharton’s jelly are singular in their ability to differentiate quickly and efficiently into the specific cells your body needs the most, harnessing the incredible growth power of the biologic compounds found in the umbilical cord for maximum regeneration results.
Why Wharton’s Jelly for Tissue Regeneration Therapy
Wharton’s jelly contains some of the highest concentrations of growth factors and regenerative properties of any human cellular tissue product and is considered the “gold standard” for tissue regeneration therapies for several reasons.
- Wharton’s jelly can be obtained easily and harmlessly immediately after a healthy, live birth in conjunction with other cord blood and tissue collection processes.
- MSCSs from Wharton’s jelly have all of the characteristics and regenerative capability of embryonic stem cells without the ethical concerns, invasive procedures, or risks to the fetus.
- Research has indicated that the MSCs from Wharton’s jelly may be exponentially more effective for helping health conditions than MSCs derived from adult tissue, which decrease in number and can lose their regenerative capabilities with age or as a result of certain health conditions.
- Stem cells like MSCs from Wharton’s jelly are considered “primitive” and unrecognizable by the body’s immune system, for high compatibility and a low risk of reactions or rejection.
- Wharton’s jelly contains more than 700,000 viable stem cells, on average, per cc, and can be used as a standalone option or in conjunction with PRP therapy.
Regenezone uses Wharton’s jelly products obtained via an FDA-approved process for collecting donor cord blood and tissue, which consists of:
- Prescreening donor mothers for infection
- Collecting cord blood and tissue from umbilical cords of freely donated placentas after healthy, full-term, live birth C-section deliveries
- Processing and screening for any infections or diseases
- Culturing cells and tissue to prevent infection
- Super-freezing tissue cells after processing
- Shipping product in dry ice
- Stringent testing at every stage, including isolation, expansion, harvest, and cryostorage
The Wharton’s jelly products used by Regenezone are minimally processed and manipulated to preserve the growth factors, proteins, and other original relevant characteristics necessary for effective healing. Prior to use, the Wharton’s jelly is thawed and mixed with saline, then injected into the target area using ultrasound or fluoroscopy guidance for precise application.
Trust Regenezone for Your Wharton’s Jelly Therapy
For Dr. Kopcio and the team at Regenezone, regenerative medicine and tissue regeneration therapy like Wharton’s jelly aren’t just trends; they’re trusted, proven methods for helping your body function better from within so you can feel your best. Dr. Kopcio has more than 10 years of experience successfully helping thousands of patients with safe, high-quality HCT/P products like Wharton’s jelly, and he specializes in creating customized, comprehensive care plans that fit every body’s unique needs. From extensive knowledge in diagnosing musculoskeletal conditions to skill and training in a wide array of regenerative modalities, Dr. Kopcio and Regenezone offer the excellence in care and outcomes you’ve been looking for. Schedule an appointment today.